I mean, if a spider was in my house, I’d burn it down too.
A West Seattle resident accidentaly burned down his rental home after trying to kill a spider with a lighter and spray paint, KOMO reports.
Fire crews were called to the home at around 8:30pm on Tuesday. Firefighters battled the flame from a distance because they were told there might be amunition inside. Firefighters were able to extinguish the fire but not before significant damage was done.
The man who rented the home told crews he was trying to kill a spider in his laundry room with a spray can and match when the fire spread quickly into the attick. The man wasn’t able to put the fire so he left the home when it began to spread.
Kyle Moore with the Seattle Fire Department stated, “I don’t want to encourage people to do this, but that’s what he did,” Moore said. “The spider tried to get into the wall. He sprayed flames on the wall, lit the wall on fire, and that extended up to the ceiling.” The man tried to put water on the fire, but he wasn’t able to put it out and the blaze spread quickly spread into the attic. “There are safer, more effective ways to kill a spider than using fire,” Moore said. “Fire is not the method to use to kill a spider.”
The rental home will cost $40,000 to repair and another $20,000 to repair or replace the contents in the home. As for the spider, Moore said: “I’m pretty sure the spider did not survive this fire. The whole wall went.”
The Red Cross is finding temporary housing for the man and a woman who lived with him.
The real take away from this entire situation is that the spider is finally dead. The Seattle man taught him a lesson.