Patty cake, patty cake, Baker’s man. Bake me a cake as best as you can.
Surprisingly, not everyone can bake. I’ve spoken to a lot of my friends and family memebers and the verdict is that they can whip up an amazing breakfast, lunch, or dinner, but ask them to make dessert and it’s a little more challenging. You’d think it was easy just make the batter, pop it in the oven, wait a while and boom your dessert is ready..wrong. I come to you with an easy recipe to help alliviate your fears and stress of baking. Over at Divas Can Cook I have found the best recipe for one of my favorites, Red Velvet Cake. I discovered red velvet in college and can’t stop requesting a red velvet cake, brownie, or cupcake as my dessert when I’m out to dinner. Hopefully you will enjoy this and will send us some of your creation, sharing is caring.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 2 Tablespoons unsweetened, cocoa powder
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil or canola
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1-2 oz. red food coloring, depends how deep you want the color
- 1 teaspoon of white distilled vinegar
- ½ cup of prepared plain hot coffee (don’t skip this ingredient)
- Preheat oven to 325.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder, cocoa powder and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the sugar and vegetable oil.
- Mix in the eggs, buttermilk, vanilla and red food coloring until combined.
- Stir in the coffee and white vinegar.
- Combine the wet ingredients with the dry ingredients a little at time, mixing after each addition, just until combined.
- Generously grease and flour two round, 9 inch cake pans with shortening and flour.
- Pour the batter evenly into each pan.
- Bake in the middle rack for 30-40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Do not over bake as cake will continue to cook as it cools.
- Let pans cool on a cooling rack until the pans are warm to the touch.
- Slide a knife or offset spatula around the inside of the pans to loosen the cake from the pan.
- Remove the cakes from the pan and let them cool.
- Frost the cake with cream cheese frosting when the cakes have cooled completely.
image via Fazz Food